2.02.2010

Art Alert!


Check out Kiel Mead. Kiel (pronounced "Kyle") is an up-and-coming, 24-year-old jewelry and furniture designer based out of New York City. Kiel started his design career with his awesome "keyrings", rings made from Mustang, Chrysler and other car keys. Mead's jewelry is crafted from mundane yet nostalgic items, from drill bits to lanyards to matchsticks and even chewing gum. Each piece is unique and carries it's own significance. His furniture is just as interesting, providing artful yet functional pieces for the home.

All I can say for myself is that I adore his forget-me-not rings (pictured above).In fact, one was recently spotted on none other than Taylor Swift. What do you think about Kiel's interesting art? Any artists/designers I should check out?



Read. Think. Type. Rock.
-Katie
Posted by

4 comments:

  1. That is SERIOUSLY cool! They almost remind me of guitar string-rings, which are so great!

    I remember you doing a post about similar rings, (or possibly by the same designer?..), a long while back. But these are WAY cooler! Colors! Love it!

    As for a new designer to check out...I would totally go for this 13-yr old from Astonia, Kirke Talu. She's got a great blog, http://cicucoco.blogspot.com that shows off her own designs. Pretty high fashion, but SO impressive for a 13 yr old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm..Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while now; WHICH of Kiel's rings would I want?!

    Pink? Just because it's cute? Yellow? For a pop of color? Black? Because it's most often my favorite?!

    Man..I'm just not sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd go with the blue...But he also has silver and gold. He has the most amazing jewelry. Go to his site and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely will! :)

    Hmmm..I'd probably go for both the gold and silver. I like mixing metals.

    ReplyDelete