6.13.2010

It's Festival Season!

'Tis the season and there's a whole other reason for festivities. It's summertime and that means summer festivals. A few great reasons to attend local music and art festivals:
1) Supporting local art!
2)Gorgeous weather!
3) Free Free Free!
4) Meeting new people!
5) Something to do that isn't homework or laziness!

Recently, I attended Elkfest, a free music festival, where I saw Space Opera 77, a great Spokane band, and Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band, a Seattle band that lives up to their crazy name. Both were great shows that also demonstrated the Unknown Band Phenomenon (my theory that the more unknown the band, the better their live show). Artfest accompanied Elkfest and I regret that I missed a lot of it by coming late, but I did get a lovely wooden ring from a jewelry stand...for $2! (I'm telling you, people, local stuff is the way to go if you're broke and cultured).

I also attended Bobfest (there's a post about last year's show as well....). Bobfest was a great opportunity to see what local teen bands are doing and is really quite impressive. All of the bands I saw put on a great show and, for many, their last show.


What festivals are you attending this summer?

-Katie

1 comment: